Tickell Expressions

Tuesday 23 February 2016

My New Puppy!

Hello Friends,



Since Kaeli passed May 2nd 2015, I didn’t know if I could ever bear to have another dog again. She was so perfect; a very hard act to follow. She will always be my special girl.
Over the last month or so, I came to the conclusion that I would need to have another dog again some day, but I really wanted a puppy. While I have loved each of our wonderful rescue dogs, I’ve been hankering for the distinct smell of puppy breath for years. Yeah, I know – weird – but I can’t help it, I love the smell of puppies. I have other reasons for wanting a young pup. Training would be physically easier for me; better probability of it acclimating to my three cats, rabbit and birds; and being able to train it as a possible therapy dog in the future. The top of the list is that I have not had the pleasure of raising a dog from a pup in 28 years. I really wanted that experience.

Trouble is, puppies are not that easy to come by these days around here and even mixed breed dogs can be prohibitively expensive. There are at least as many "Wanted:" ads of people looking for puppies as there are any ads offering pups. The available ones get scooped up very quickly. I was prepared for a long wait.

Yesterday (Monday) I started praying about a puppy. I trust my Heavenly Father to help me make good decisions. He doesn't always answer my requests right away, and sometimes not in the way I expect, but his answers are always the best, even when I can't see it at first. I asked Him if getting a puppy was a good decision for us at this time. If so, I asked Him to lead me to just the right dog that would be the perfect fit for our family.

This morning my son asked what kind of dog I wanted. I was pretty wide open, except I didn't want a small dog. My dream was a large to extra large dog (another reason I wanted to start with a pup). I had no preference as to gender. As to colour, my favourite would be white, cream, or white and tan. 

So... I started praying about a puppy yesterday and my son 'interviewed' me this morning as to my preferences. Then, about 3 o'clock this afternoon, a friend called and told me that a puppy (a litter mate of a pup she just got) was available. He had been spoken for, but the person changed his mind just a half-hour before she called. 

Samson is a mixed breed: Grand Pyrenees/Newfoundlander/Border Collie and is one of the biggest in his litter. He is all white with tan patches over his face and ears. His pregnant mother was a rescue dog so he could be considered a rescue as well. The family who took her in (they are keeping mom and one pup) are personal friends and Christians. They were also praying for just the right homes for all of their pups. They are thrilled that we are taking Samson.
Samson at 6.5 weeks
My God is a tender-hearted Daddy who loves to give good gifts to his children.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Animals are such a blessing. Samson looks like an adorable dog. Congratulations on the new fur-baby. :)

Crafting With Jack said...

Oh Teresa your post bought tears to my eyes! Happy tears. I am so pleased for you and look forward to lots of updates on your beautiful new puppy xx